1. GA-English
  2. News

Attempted homicide in Bonn?: 24-year-old suspect is free again

Attempted homicide in Bonn? : 24-year-old suspect is free again

The 24-year-old woman, who is alleged to have deliberately driven into and critically injured a 19-year-old man in the early hours of Sunday in Bonn, has been released by police. An arrest warrant was issued for attempted homicide.

An arrest warrant for attempted homicide was issued on Monday against the 24-year-old woman driver who apparently deliberately drove into a 19-year-old man at Bertha-von-Suttner-Platz on Sunday morning. However, it was suspended subject to certain conditions and the woman has been free since Monday afternoon. A police murder squad is investigating.

Chief prosecutor Robin Faßbender told the GA that exactly what happened during that night is currently part of the investigations. “There is alleged to have been a dispute beforehand, the details of which are not yet known.” He said the 19-year-old and a friend, and the driver and three other women aged between 16 and 38, who were also in the car, met before the alleged incident in front of a fast food restaurant on Bertha-von-Suttner-Platz. There was allegedly an argument. Police spokesperson Robert Scholten said that according to the current status of the investigation, there is nothing to indicate that those involved already knew each other.

When the woman and the man then met for a second time at around 5.40am at the traffic lights leading to the platform on the bus lane heading towards the Kennedy Bridge, the 24-year-old is alleged to have steered her vehicle towards the 19-year-old and hit him with her car. The young man suffered severe head injuries in the collision. Police closed the lanes towards Beuel to traffic for several hours to examine the crime scene thoroughly. Only trams were able to pass through the area.

The young woman appears to have wanted to flee the scene of the accident. Police confirmed that she was not stopped in the immediate vicinity of the accident site but far away at the roundabout at Helmut-Schmidt-Platz. She was arrested there and was in custody until Monday. Police spokesperson Robert Scholten said on Monday morning that the victim was no longer in a life-threatening condition.

Original text: Gabriele Immenkeppel, Nicolas Ottersbach.

Translation: kc