1. GA-English
  2. News

Kölnstraße in Bonn: Eyewitnesses come forward after man (47) was killed

Kölnstraße in Bonn : Eyewitnesses come forward after man (47) was killed

Members of a Turkish cultural association comment on the presumed course of events after the death of a 47-year-old man in the Kölnstraße in Bonn. The victim had been pushed during an argument and had fallen badly.

Following the death of a 47-year-old man, members of a Turkish cultural association have commented on the presumed course of events on Kölnstraße. The victim had been pushed during an altercation and fell badly, an eyewitness told the GA on Wednesday.

According to police, the argument took place on July 13 in or in front of the club's premises. Two days later, the 47-year-old died in hospital as a result of a head injury. A 59-year-old turned himself in four days after the crime and is now in custody. He is accused of manslaughter and is under investigation by a homicide squad.

According to several members of the association, who do not want to be named, the 47-year-old and the suspect did not know each other. "The 59-year-old was sitting at a table with others when the man came in," said an eyewitness. Normally only members have access to the club rooms, the 47-year-old is not a member. He appeared to be drunk and sat down at a computer table. "All those present asked him several times to sit down on a chair", a club member said.

The 59-year-old suspect, who often comes to the restaurant for coffee, also raised his voice. "At some point, the 47-year-old stood up, had his left hand behind his back and walked towards him," the witness reported. Afterwards, the 47-year-old is said to have started speaking Arabic with the 59-year-old. "He allegedly insulted the man and his family," said the club member. However, he did not know for sure, as he did not speak Arabic himself. Other witnesses had told him this later.

The 59-year-old is said to have pushed the 47-year-old, who then hit his head on the floor. It was a tragic accident, according to the association. According to Bonn's senior prosecutor Robin Faßbender, the investigation into the exact course of events is still ongoing. "The suspect himself does not give any details", Faßbender declared on Wednesday. Witnesses had initially made different statements. It is still part of the investigation whether the incident took place inside or outside the clubhouse.

Original text: Nathalie Dreschke

Translation: Mareike Graepel