Bonn/Region Great music and a dance party at the university are coming to you this weekend! For veggie and vegan fans, there is a lifestyle fair - and tekkies get a whole Night of Technology. Just a quick ride away is the St.Martin’s market in gorgeous wine country. Enjoy your weekend!
The weekend kicks off on Friday with a load of Rock & Roll: "Das Musiknetzwerk" presents the Toys2Masters Soundclash at the Rock & Pop Center Bonn. The bands Gifts For The Earth, Myself Outside, Ramble and Son Of A Gun were part of the nationwide band contest in 2018 and it’s time for them again to show their stuff. The final for this year's participants is scheduled to be held in the Brückenforum on December 1.
- Where: Rock & Pop Center Zentrum (Center), Moltkestraße 41, Bad Godesberg
- When: Friday, 6:30 pm
Night of Technology in Bonn/Rhein-Sieg
For seven years, technology and science companies have been opening their doors on the Night of Technology. For the first time, the event will also be held in the towns in the Rhine-Sieg district. Visitors can gain an insight into the various working areas of 32 facilities there and put together their own individual tech evening using the program booklet. For further information about the event and locations: nacht-der-technik.de or call 0221 3023 9860
- When: Friday, starting at 6 pm
- Admission: 13 euros, some are eligible for reduced price of 8 euros
Westnd in the Mausefalle 33 1/3
A mixture of funk, soul and a pinch of modern rock music - that’s the sound of Westnd. The five-piece group has already played on smaller stages and festivals in their hometown of Bonn. In summer they could be heard at the Stadtgarten concerts at the Alten Zoll. Now the Indie rock group wants to bring their music to the cult pub in the Südstadt.
- Where: Mausefalle 33 1/3, Weberstraße 41, Bonn
- When: 8 - 10 pm, Friday
- Admission: The entrance is free.
Musical “West Side Story”
The hugely successful musical premiered in New York in 1957, with music by Leonard Bernstein. With elements of jazz and dance music from that period, it tells the story of the Jets, a gang fighting against the Sharks, a group of young Puerto Rican immigrants. Tony loves Maria, but they belong to opposing gangs. Tony is fatally shot by a Shark. In the face of his death, Maria finally prevails on the two groups to make peace. Some of the recognizable songs: “Tonight”, “Maria”, “I Feel Pretty”, “America”, “Somewhere.”
- Where: Bonn Opera, Am Boeselagerhof 1, Bonn
- When: Friday at 7:30pm
- Tickets: West Side Story - Theater Bonn
Singers’ Night at Folk Club Bonn
Listen to local talent and guest singers in a casual atmosphere. The Folk Club Bonn has been around for a long time and the group is enthusiastic, everyone is always welcome. This Singers’ Night is with Juhana Iivonen and the theme is “Fireworks”.
- Where: BTHV sports club/Dotty's Sports Bar, Christian-Miesen-Str. 1, Bonn
- When: Friday, 7 - 10pm. (0228) 238529
- Admission: free
2nd Bonn Travel Fair
More than 80 travel agencies and businesses present their travel offers in this 2nd annual Bonn Travel Fair and Exhibition put on by General Anzeiger.
- Where: Stadthalle Bad Godesberg, Bad Godesberg, Koblenzer Str. 80
- When: 11 am - 5:30 pm, Saturday
Veggie World Cologne
The vegan and vegetarian lifestyle fair will be held for the first time on Saturday and Sunday. Exhibitors offer tips and tricks from the vegan scene and offer products that are not available in a regular supermarket. There are also clothing and cosmetic products on offer. According to the organizers, this is not about doing without, but about gaining and discovering new possibilities.
- Where: XPOST, Gladbacher Wall 5, Cologne
- When: Saturday from 10 am to 6 pm, Sunday from 11 am to 6 pm
- Tickets: cost 11 euros and are available at tickets.wellfairs.de
St. Martin’s Market
This “Martinsmarkt” offers regional delicacies and locally produced wines all weekend. It opens on Friday at 6pm, with a torchlight walk at 6:30 pm (meeting point is the Dagernova event hall). On Saturday at 11am, there is a vineyard panorama hike and at 6pm a St. Martin’s procession with a bonfire at the end. It wraps up with an organ concert at 4pm on Sunday.
- Where: Dagernova Wine Shop, Altenahr, Ahrweg 7 (also reachable with public transport, the Ahrtalbahn)
- When: Friday from 6pm, Saturday from 11am, Sunday from 11am
Party at the University of Bonn
The main university building becomes a dance floor on Saturday. The Studierendenwerk Bonn invites you to a mix of music from Cumbia, Latin, Balkan, Global Beats, Afro and Oriental by DJ Rupen. Beverages are offered at a small price.
- Where: University of Bonn main building, am Hof 1, Bonn city center
- When: Saturday, starts at 9 pm
- Admission: 10 euros, for students 5 euros
Experiment Day in the Deutsches Museum
Sunday is Experiment Day: At the Tüfteltage (Experiment Day) in the Deutsches Museum, families can discover together, try out things and take a look at the world of natural science and technology. Experiments and craft activities are available for all age groups.
- Where: Deutsches Museum Bonn, Ahrstraße 45, Bonn
- When: Sunday, 10 am - 5 pm
- Admission: Museum admission starts at 14 euros, for children up to 17 years 4,50 euros
“Ghosts”: Brought to you by the English language theater group The Bonn Players, this play from Henrik Ibsen will be showing at the Brotfabrik in Bonn-Beuel (Kreuzstrasse 16) from November 12 - 16. The play premiered in 1882 and its scathing commentary on 19th century morality labelled it shockingly indecent and controversial. Now the play is back and it is just as telling as ever. “Ghosts” focuses on Helene, who has spent her life suspended in an emotional void after the death of her cruel but outwardly charming husband. She is determined to escape the ghosts of her past.
- Reserve seats can be purchased online at: www.bonnplayers.de.
- Performances are Tues., Wed., Thur., Fri. 8pm and Sat. 6pm.
- Admission: adults 20 euros, students 15 euros (opening night discount: adults 18 euros, students 13.50 euros)
Sampling of museums and exhibitions in Bonn and surrounds:
- Arp Museum Bahnhof Rolandseck Exhibitions: A current schedule can be found on the website (English): arpmuseum.org Hans-Arp-Allee 1, 53424 Remagen, (02228) 94250
- Bundeskunsthalle Exhibitions: A current listing and opening hours can be found on the website (English) Friedrich-Ebert-Allee 4., (0228) 91710
- Deutsches Museum Bonn: A current listing can be found on the website: deutsches-museum.de (English), Bad Godesberg, Ahrstr. 45, 10am - 6pm, (0228) 302255, For more information on children’s programmes: (0228) 302 256
- Kunstmuseum: A current listing can be found on the website (English).Friedrich-Ebert-Allee 2, 11am-6pm, (0228) 776260
- LVR Landesmuseum: A current listing can be found here: times on website (English). Colmanstr. 14-16, (0228) 2070351
Cinemas offering English-language movies:
Want to see a movie in English?
Check out the GA “Kinofinder” (Film finder), just click on the OV Original Version films and you will find out when and where they are showing.
You can also check out the following theaters which normally offer at least a couple of movies in English.
Films labeled with OV (Orig. version) or Omu (Orig. version with German subtitles) are generally in English unless otherwise noted, i.e. (Russ) = Russian, (Frz) = French.
- Kinopolis, Moltkestr. 7-9, Bad Godesberg: kinopolis.de
- Woki cinema, Bertha-von-Suttner-Platz 1-7, Bonn: woki.de
- Brotfabrik, Kreuzstrasse 16, Bonn-Beuel: bonnerkinemathek.de
- Metropolis, Ebertplatz 19, Cologne: metropolis-koeln.de
- Odeon-Lichtspieltheater, Severinstraße 81, Cologne: odeon-koeln.de
Follow GA-English on Facebook: Click “like” on our page and you will receive our regular updates: facebook.com/gabonnenglish/
Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com
(Orig. text: ga.de, ck